Hale Ho’ola, our Behavioral Health Unit, is adjacent to the hospital that cares for adult patients who require acute and chronic behavioral health care. Adult, child and adolescent behavioral health assessments are available in the Emergency Department (ED). Hale Ho‘ola treats a broad range of Behavioral Health Diagnoses such as Major Depressive Disorder and Acute Psychosis, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia.
Clinical services provided include but are not limited to:
- Psychosocial evaluation for all patients admitted within 48-72 hours.
- Initial Nursing assessment and planning within 4 hours.
- Interdisciplinary treatment planning meeting with 48-72 hours.
- Therapeutic Milieu and diversional activities.
- Therapeutic interactions and plans of care based on assessed needs.
- Occupational Therapy as indicated.
- Behavioral Health assessments and referrals to appropriate level of care for adult, child and adolescent.
- Activity Services.
Referrals for services not offered include:
- Substance abuse rehabilitation, such as Big Island Substance Abuse Council.
- Referrals to “Access Line” (crisis services thru Adult Mental Health Division of the State of Hawaii Department of Health) for clients who do not meet admission criteria.
- Child and adolescent acute and chronic behavioral health interventions, such as Kahi Mohala.
Location, Contact Information and Visitor Information
Hale Ho’ola is located in a separate, enclosed facility adjacent to the Hilo Medical Center’s acute hospital. For more information, call (808) 932-3580.
Visiting hours are 12:00-1:30 pm and 4:00-7:00 pm to support treatment programming.
Exceptions are made through the Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager approval depending on the situation of the visitor and the unit. We allow two visitors into the unit per patient at one time to prevent overstimulation of the therapeutic environment.
Children under the age of 13 who are visiting a patient will require special arrangements with orders to utilize the conference room under the Charge Nurse’s discretion.