Volunteers are an essential part of the hospital, performing a variety of services to help patients, visitors and staff. Being a volunteer is an experience full of personal rewards and positive interaction. For a volunteer application, contact our volunteer office at: (808) 932-3165.
Must be 16 years old and able to commit to 6 months of service or 50 hours.
Normal processing takes about 2-3 weeks!
Volunteer Program Process:
- Complete an Volunteer Application
- $45 Processing Fee (includes State & Federal Criminal Background checks and picture ID Badge)
- Health Requirements
- Mandatory Orientation
There are a wide variety of opportunities at Hilo Medical Center:
- Transporter…assist with discharges and various errands.
- Nurses Aide/Ward Clerk Aide …assist with discharges, distribute meals to patients, fill water pitchers, etc.
- Long Term Care Recreation Aide…socialize and exercise with residents.
- General Clerical …answer phones, file, light typing, copy & staple, assemble packets, errands, etc.
- Pharmacy Aide …label products, file, run errands and update inventory.
- Physical Therapy Aide: assist physical therapists with patients.
- Seamstress: sew and mend.
- Laundry Aide …fold small pieces of laundry.
- Gardener …water plants, pull weeds and assist with landscaping projects.
- Dietician Aide …assist with modification of select menus and light clerical duties.
- Wheelchair Maintenance …repair and service wheelchairs.