Rehab and Physical Therapy
Aloha, welcome to Hilo Medical Center’s Outpatient Rehabilitation Department.
Our mission is to improve community health and patients’ quality of life through compassionate, multi-disciplinary care in the safety of our hospital.
Our multi-disciplinary clinical staff provide Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and Cardiac Rehab services. We are committed to promoting functional independence and empowering patients towards an improved quality of life. Our patients are involved in their treatment every step of the way. We work closely with referring physicians and develop individualized care plans for every patient.
Common goals achieved by patients include: pain reduction/resolution, improved strength, increased range of motion, better coordination/balance, and increased confidence in returning to activities.
Our Doctorate or Masters level trained Physical Therapists provide individualized care to optimize functional abilities which improve a patient’s quality of life through prescribed exercise, hands-on-care, and patient education. Our staff includes certified vestibular and orthopedic specialists.
Our Maters level trained Occupational Therapist assists in restoring participation in everyday living and aims to maximize occupational performance and participation in daily activities to prior levels of function following injury, illness, or disease.
Our speech-language pathologists hold a Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology from American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. Each works to prevent, assess, diagnose, and provide evidence-based treatment for disorders of speech, language, voice, cognitive-communication, and swallowing in adults.
Our Cardiac Rehab Team provides a medically supervised program designed to improve your heart health after heart problems or surgery.
You may be eligible for this service if you have had a:
- • Heart attack in the last 12 months
- • Heart condition such as stable angina or heart failure
- • Heart procedure(s) or surgery such as:
- ◦ Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
- ◦ Angioplasty and stenting
- ◦ Heart valve repair or replacement
Cardiac Rehab is delivered in a group setting with other heart patients with heart related conditions. With the oversight of healthcare professionals, you receive monitored exercise to strengthen the heart and to improve cardiac endurance. Information and education is provided during each session to assist you in managing modifiable risk factors such as: diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol.
Rehab and Physical Therapy
- • Acute and chronic pain
- • Arthritis
- • Ankle and foot injuries
- • Back and neck pain
- • Concussion treatment
- • Dizziness and balance deficits
- • Upper extremity injuries
- • Headaches
- • Joint replacement
- • Lower extremity injuries
- • Muscle strains and sprains
- • Orthopedic injuries
- • Overuse injures
- • Personal and auto injuries
- • Pre and Post-surgical conditions
- •Repetitive stress injuries
- • Sports performance injuries
- • Stroke Rehab
- • TMJ referrals
- • Work related injures
- • Upper arm, elbow, forearm, wrist or hand fractures
- • Tendon or nerve lacerations
- • Crush injuries
- • Pain syndromes
- • Osteoarthritis
- • Rheumatoid arthritis
- • Custom splinting
- • Sensory integration
- • Tendonitis such as tennis elbow, golfer’s elbow or trigger finger
- • Neurological Rehabilitation
- • Home Living Skills
- • Hand Rehabilitation Activities of Daily Living
- • Cognitive Perceptual Retraining
- • Transfer and Mobility Retraining
- • Energy Conservation Technique
- • Upper Extremity Therapeutic Exercises
- • Fabrication of Splints, Slings and Orthopedic Device
- • Utilization of Adaptive Equipment